10 February 2009

+ "Was Lincoln a Racist?" +


There's no doubt about the ways in which my father views the world, and in his standpoints he cannot be moved. His thoughts are FACT, and that's it. I'm a sassy lady, and take any opportunity to prove my father, or anyone else, wrong. If you have an opinion about something, all I ask is that you back it up.
In consideration with what my father views as all encompassing and important, what rises above all are the people he holds as even grander than himself:

Babe Ruth, John F. Kennedy, and....Abraham Lincoln.

To my dad, Abraham Lincoln is the be-all-end-all of human perfection. One who saw what could be for the better, and actually made it happen. Being the brazen lass I am, during my senior year of high school, I brought a certain essay by W.E.B. DuBois to his attention which argued the idea that perhaps Mr. Lincoln wasn't as honorable in his viewpoints as we were all taught to believe. Needless to say, my father practically ripped my head off and was disgusted that I would even THINK of suggesting such a thing.

Du Bois wrote of a direct quote from Lincoln himself:

“I will say, then, that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races—that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of making voters or jurors of Negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this, that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I, as much as any other man, am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race.”

I came across a lovely article this morning that not only references DuBois' essay, but goes into even greater length to question, "Was Lincoln a Racist?"

Please, by all means, read it for yourself and come to your own conclusions.
Educate yourself, argue your opinions, and stand by who you are.

No comments: